Saturday, February 5, 2011

But this must be God's will....

God's will is not always abundantly clear.  Some things are obviously in His will (developing in our relationship with Him, loving our children, not struggling in sin, not struggling with the fear of man).  Some things are not so clear.  Some things are surprising as well.  Some times God closes a door that was in our mind the "right" door.  For example, I was fairly confident that a job with a particular company that shall remain nameless (thanks for the hook-up, Wade!) was the job.  I was familiar with the processes, the products, a big company, etc.  Then God closed the door and I was upset for a little while.  I knew it was the right thing, especially since I specifically prayed that God would close the door if that was His will, but the rejection still stung a little bit (probably because of my pride). 

My favorite Biblical example is the Gerasene demoniac in Mark 5.  This is the guy who had a legion of demons within him, and Jesus healed him.  Of course it would be right for the former demoniac to tag along with Jesus.  It would help him to grow and develop and see how Jesus worked on a day-to-day basis.  So the man implores Jesus to come along, but Jesus says "no".  How could that be?  How could it not have been better for him to be with Jesus in the flesh?  Jesus tells him, "Go home to your people and report to them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He had mercy on you."  And the result of his obedience: "And he went away and began to proclaim in Decapolis what great things Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed."  What seemed like obviously the right thing to do, ended up not being God's will.

God's will is always, always, always, always, and then always, and still always the best for us, whether we realize it or not.  This is so hard in the moment when God gives us an inkling of His will (which He often does), and in our wisdom, we think we know what's best.  I try to rationalize with God and make a case for what seems best to me, but His will is the best. 

I have a co-worker who I really have a heart for.  He is really a good guy, but that's by human standards.  I do not think he knows the Lord personally.  I am leaving Cat in two weeks and I want so much to sit him down and share my testimony and challenge him directly but feel God telling me no.  Since God's will is always the best, I must just trust God.  This is challenging, but since He's been right the last eleventy billionth times, I should have some assurance that He knows what He's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment