Saturday, February 11, 2012

How do we see light when it's dark?

This is not a how-to post.  This is not six easy steps.  This is just processing/journaling/blabbing.  


It's really easy to look at someone in a tough spot and see exactly what they need to do.  It's really easy to see someone who struggles with singleness and tell them they need to find their identity in God.  It's easy to tell someone who's unemployed that God will provide.  It's not challenging to tell someone who's plagued by recurring sickness that God is right there with them, and He hates to see His children in pain.


First of all, those are weak and pithy statements that help me deal with the reality of God's sovereignty.  Second, who's to say that that's really the issue?  But I diverge just slightly...


My real question is, what do you do when you're the person in the difficult situation?  What do you do when it seems all you hear is lies?  When the bleak just continues to get bleaker?  When it's dark around you and try as you might and see God's goodness, it's as though you can't find it?  When, as my pastor says, all you seem to see is the "dark side of God's sovereignty."


I'm not sure.  


I have plenty of good things to do: cling to the Word, pray without ceasing, spend time in fellowship, continue to generously give, serve others, yada, yada, (other Christian-ese word here), etc.  All great things.  All necessary things for a true relationship with our heavenly father.  But I just don't think the answer is in the "do".   


I'm not sure of the answer.  I think it involves wiping away the scales of sin that can cloud our vision and begin seeing God again as He truly is.  He is my Heavenly Father and I am His child.  Having children has helped me see this even clearer and understand how big of a deal that is.  There are not many (if any) world religions whose deity claims to view his followers as his children.  Yet God claims this.  Having a gentle yet strong father in my life has probably contributed to this clarity as well.


Jesus even says, "You are my friends if you do what I command you."  (John 15:14)  He is our friend.  That's hard to wrap my head around.


I'm still not sure of the answer, but I know that the answer is not in the "why" question.  That will never satisfy.  The answer is in the "who" question and that's Jesus.


For more on that, check out: http://www.yourchurch.com/sermons/sunday-message/ and click "I Choose to Bless:...." under the Series tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment